Thursday, March 31, 2011

Macaroni Noodle Soup

This dish may sound really really weird, but I promise you that it is deeeee-licious! My mom occassionally cooks this because its a very quick and simple dish. She did not make this dish from any recipe and I am not sure how it came about. But it was probably a result of a lucky experiment.

Anyways, my mom's "experiment" is the inspiration for my version of the Macaroni Noodle Soup. This dish is similar to the classic chicken noodle soup but with a big Asian kick to it.

This recipe is for 2-3 servings, but can easily be modified to make more servings.

DISCLAIMER: I normally do not measure the ingredients that I use. Everything is eyeballed and guesstimated but I will try my best to provide you with some type of measurements!
 
Ingredients:
  • Elbow Macaroni (or any type of macaroni)
  • 5 cups of Chicken Stock or Broth (you can use any stock/broth - beef, veggie, etc.)
  • 3 bunches of Baby Bok Choy
  • 3 Boneless Chicken Breasts
  • Garlic
  • Fishsauce
  • Black Pepper

Steps:

1.) Boil a pot of water to cook the macaroni. Once the water boils, pour in as much macaroni as you would like. Add a pinch of salt and about a teaspoon of oil. Then follow the cooking instructions on the box.



2.) Cut the ends off of the baby bok choy. You can leave the baby bok choy as is or cut off the individual leaves and then thoroughly wash it.
3.) Once the macaroni is cooked, put the macaroni in a strainer so that all the water can drain out.

4.) Clean the boneless chicken breasts and then cut it into small cubes.

5.) Mince the garlic.

6.) Heat up a pot with some oil; enough to thinly cover the bottom of the pot.

7.) Add in the minced garlic and let the garlic cook until it turns slightly brown. Then add in the chicken cubes. Mix the chicken cubes around until it is fully cooked.

8.) Once the chicken is cooked, add in the chicken stock or broth. Then add about 2 tbs. of fishsauce. If you don't have fishsauce, you can also use salt, about 1 tbs. Taste the soup and add additional fishsauce or salt if needed.

This is the fishsauce that I use, but you can use any type of fishsauce.


9.) Take the macaroni and put them in serving bowls. If the macaroni gets cold, you can quickly microwave it to make it warm.

10.) When the soup boils, add in the baby bok choy for about 1 minute. Then, remove the baby bok choy and place it in the same bowl as the macaroni.

11.) Finally, pour the soup in the macaroni and baby bok choy bowl and then add a pinch of black pepper.

This is a very simple dish that is quick to make and tastes very light. You can also make extra soup and macaroni to save for another meal. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. Let me know how it turns out!!

2 comments:

  1. my mom makes something similar to this and it is definitely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I didn't know other people eat this too. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete